Bild: Münzkeller

Mint Cellar

This cellar house (Münzkeller) was named based on its location directly adjacent to the so-called "Old Mint", one of the oldest buildings in town; it was probably built in the 17th century. "Taler" and other token coins were coined here from 1691 until 1702. At this time, the mining of copper and silver was in full swing and both were used in the minting of coins. Because of the building´s purpose, there is in deed no cellar below the "Old Mint".

In the 19th century the so called "Old Mint" went into the property of the Family of Witzleben, who had a "Fräuleinstift" built in 1854. It served as an accommodation for not married daughters of this family. Two young ladies were allowed to live in the facility at the same time. The inventory register mentions an additional cellar house as a "wood and carriage depot along with a cellar located beneath" (quotation), today´s "Mint Cellar".

Inside the "Mint Cellar" there are two different barrel-vaults, supposedly being aroused in the 16th century. These vault cellars are probably the rest of an earlier, autonomous building. The more deeply located cellar seemed to have been used as a beer depot, according to its structure (quadratic opening in the vault cap). Just a few inhabitants were given the brewery licence - the users of the "Old Mint" were given it. Because of the simple wooden construction from the 18th century ("Fachwerk mit Brettereinschlag") one can assume the use of the building as storage, tool and carriage shed for the "Old Mint" beneath.

Today the Mint Cellar shows itself in a simple wooden cover panel facade that takes up the local architecture style of the 18th century. From 1994 to 1996 the studwork has been essentially reconstructed. Value has been set especially on reusing the old hand coated roofing tiles witch are about 200 years old. The divider inside is now serving to demonstrate the materials that have been used in houses in Ilmenau. The plaster moulds from Ilmenau´s porcelain manufacture are another special feature that have been sold as cheap construction material after their use for the porcelain production. Theses still in a very large number present plasters are a beautiful evidence of the products from Ilmenau´s porcelain factories.

The building is being used by the museum for several museum educational events (e. g. "writing as in Goethe´s times") and can be visited when taking part in different guided city tours.

Viewing also possible upon request, telephone number: 03677 - 600 209.

Historical Mint Cellar
Historical Mint Cellar
Interior of the Mint Cellar
Interior of the Mint Cellar
Staircase in the Mint Cellar
Staircase in the Mint Cellar