Bild: Bergmannskapelle

Bergmann's Chapel

 

 

The Bergmann’s Chapel (Bergmannskapelle) is located in the area of Ilmenau’s former copper and silver mining, at "the Sturmheide" below the pithead of the former shaft, "Gottes Gabe". There are only a few written sources documenting its history. Therefore, much speculation about the function of the building has been passed on from other mining areas. At "The Sturmheide", mining was pursued only until 1739, so the building had probably already been established in the 17th century. Therefore, it belongs to the few indications of copper and silver mining in Ilmenau.

The term "Bergmannskapelle" has been retained among Ilmenau's citizens, as well as the belief that the minors would pray there before going underground. This common interpretation isn't quite correct, because the prayer room has been proven to be in the "Zechenhaus". The remarkable frame house very likely belonged to the art buildings of the mineshaft "Gottes Gabe" and contains a water wheel, which was used to lift and transport water within the mine.

Today there is a small exhibition about the copper shale mining at "The Sturmheide" inside the building. As an interim solution, it welcomed visitors until September 2008, while the administration building was closed.

On the top floor, there has been a small special exhibition about the life and work of the Erfurter poet Sidona Hedwig Zäunemann (1711-1740) since June 2011. She was the first woman who entered the Ilmenau mineshaft in 1737 and remained deeply affected by this experience. Therefore she wrote a poem of 39 verses about "Das Ilmenauische Bergwerk ...".

It became a travelling exhibition at the beginning of 2012 and was able to be seen from 14th January until 25th March, 2012 in the "Museum für bergmännische Volkskunst Schneeberg" and from 17th April until 28th May, 2012 in the mining museum "Bergbaumuseum Oelsnitz / Erzgebirge". Since June 2012, this small travelling exhibition has remained in the "Bergmannskapelle" and can be seen on request or during city tours and special guided tours.

Guided tours


Tour trough the area of Ilmenau's former copper and silver mining (no reservation required)

date: May to October, 1st and 3rd Sunday, 10:30 am
duration: around 1,5 hours
cost: €4.00 per person
start: Ilmenau-Information, Am Markt 1, 98693 Ilmenau



Tour on the tracks of Sidonia Hedwig Zäunemann

duration: around 1,5 hours
cost: €40.00 per group (max. 15 persons)
start: Ilmenau-Information, Am Markt 1, 98693 Ilmenau

Reservation:

Ilmenau-Information
Am Markt 1
98693 Ilmenau
Tel.: 03677 - 600 300
E-Mail: stadtinfo@ilmenau.de


Bergmann´s Chapel
Bergmann´s Chapel
Bergmann
Bergmann
Inside the Bergmann´s Chapel
Inside the Bergmann´s Chapel