Bild: Amtshausdetail

Buildings

Administration Building (Amtshaus)


The Administration Building (Amtshaus) can be regarded as one of the most historically and architecturally important buildings in Ilmenau. With its Baroque appearance, it is the constructional highlight among the other building on Market Square. Remarkable are the Henneberger's coat of arms and the date of the first edification, 1616, in the pediment of the central structure. The construction is said to trace back to the widowed Countess Sophie of Henneberg and since 1634 it has served as a ducal residence and later as an administration building.

Further information about the Administration Building

Administration Building on the Market Square
Administration Building on the Market Square

Bergmann’s Chapel (Bergmannskapelle)


The Bergmann’s Chapel  (Bergmannskapelle) is located in the former area of Ilmenau’s copper and silver mining, at “the Sturmheide” below the pithead of the former shaft, “Gottes Gabe”. There are only a few written sources documenting its history. Therefore, much speculation about the function of the building has been passed on from other mining areas. At “the Sturmheide”, mining was pursued only until 1739, so the building had probably already been established in the 17th century. Therefore, it is one of the few remaining indications of copper and silver mining in Ilmenau.

Further information about the Bergmann`s Chapel

Bergmann´s Chapel
Bergmann´s Chapel

Mint Cellar (Münzkeller)


This cellar house was named based on its location directly adjacent to the so-called "Old Mint", one of the oldest buildings in town; it was probably built in the 17th century. Thaler and other coins were coined there from 1691 until 1702. At this time, the mining of copper and silver was in full swing, and both were used in the minting of coins. Because of the purpose of the building, there is no cellar below the Old "Mint".

Further information about the Mint Cellar

Interior of the Mint Cellar
Interior of the Mint Cellar